[Advaita-l] The safe way

Aditya Kumar kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 15:24:45 EDT 2017

That does not make him a shaiva. Any god can be saguna Brahman in advaita. Suredhwara in vartika has held any of the three murtis and guru can be antaryamin. So your conclusion is not based on facts.
A : Not just that. There are many more differences like Shiva being both the material and efficient cause of the universe.

Appayya dikshita has stated a hierarchy across the four schools. Reconciliation arises only when there is difference.
A : Not sure what you intend to say here. Are you saying there is only a hierarchy and no difference among the chatur matas? Do the Vaishnavas agree with this hierarchy? To whom is this relevant then? Chaturmatasara, the title itself reveals the intent.

The answer is already there. They all lead one to the same goal. Sureshwara has said this very clearly.
A : What Sureshvara has said in two lines is applicable if it were mere different models/illustrations. However the moot point is that they are siddhanta bedha.

If you can fancy anything in Shankara and others why can't I?
A : Sigh. I was referring to the development of Nyaya techniques and Nyaya school's attempt to deconstruct Mithyatva in Advaita. Can you cite the instances where Shankara has resorted to logical formalism?

Your fundamental premise itself is flawed. That they are all contradictory is itself a product of misguided study.
A : I am eager to be refuted but apart from Sureshvara's quote (Sureshvara, btw, predated Bhamati&Vivarana schools), you have offered nought.

You can never prove that without risking the charge turned towards you. Sri SSS did that and ended up being seen as one who deviated from Shankara. It is dubbed as 'Matthur prakriya' by others.
A : I am not trying to prove anything but merely stating the fact that a hybrid prasthana of Bhamati and Vivarana is not possible because 1) they disagree with each other and 2) such a hybrid view cannot satisfy all objections which may arise. No one can deny this. Although it may seem as if the difference is negligible, the implications are inevitable. For instance, the controversial DSV finds it's roots in Vivarana. But Bhamati does not accommodate it. Same for EJV and NJV.

regardssubbu