[Advaita-l] Accounting for Brahman appearing as the world

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Sep 13 07:17:36 EDT 2017

praNAms Sri Ravi Kiran prabhuji
Hare Krishna
You may want to revisit the thread history as it has been discussed threadbare and my query was pertinent to the particular thread response posted, from where you picked up only a part of it and trying to restart the wheel :)  In case, you are still interested after reading through the entire thread, we can discuss offline, so that it wont be a repeat for all :)

Ø     Oh OK, let us leave it then.  I have already have somany things to settle ☺

On a related note on sarvaM, you may refer the bhAshya for Br. Up 5.1.1 - pūrṇamadaḥ pūrṇamidaṃ..

अतः अदःशब्दवाच्यं पूर्णं ब्रह्म, तदेव इदं पूर्णं कार्यस्थं नामरूपोपाधिसंयुक्तम् अविद्यया उद्रिक्तम् तस्मादेव परमार्थस्वरूपात् अन्यदिव प्रत्यवभासमानम् — तत् , यत् आत्मानमेव परं पूर्णं ब्रह्म विदित्वा — अहम् अदः पूर्णं ब्रह्मास्मि इत्येवम् , पूर्णमादाय, तिरस्कृत्य अपूर्णस्वरूपताम् अविद्याकृतां नामरूपोपाधिसम्पर्कजाम् एतया ब्रह्मविद्यया पूर्णमेव केवलम् अवशिष्यते ; तथा चोक्तम् ‘तस्मात्तत्सर्वमभवत्’ इति ।
Hence the ‘Infinite,’ denoted by the word ‘That,’ is Brahman. That again is ‘this infinite’ (universe)—Brahman manifested as effect, connected with the limiting adjuncts of name and form, projected by ignorance, and appearing as different from that real nature of its own. Then knowing itself as the supreme, infinite Brahman, so as to feel, ‘I am that infinite Brahman,’ and thus taking its infinitude, i.e. removing by means of this knowledge of Brahman its own limitation created by ignorance through the contact of the limiting adjuncts of name and form, it remains as the unconditioned infinite alone. So it has been said, ‘Therefore It became all.’ //trans by Sw Madhavananda

Ø   That is good reference prabhuji.   I think one decade back in advaitin group there was a lead article with regard to pUrNamidaM by Sri Madathil Nair prabhuji.  We have extensively discussed this at that time.  My stance at that time was : jagat mithyatva based on attributing svatantra astitva (independent existence) to the jagat  alongwith brahman.  We talked a lot about it based on avasthAtraya prakriya.  Ofcourse, learnt a lot from that thread through the contributions from scholars like Sri Chitta prabhuji and others.
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar