[Advaita-l] The safe way

Aditya Kumar kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 13 06:11:16 EDT 2017

Fully agree with everything you have said. Couldn't have put it better. You have said - there is a vicious fight within tradition - fully agree with this after familiarising a little with various sub-commentators. And yet, the narrative is that these are just different ways of approaching the same goal and that all sorts of views can be reconciled. If you choose not to, then you opt out of 'traditional view'. You are a heretic. Shri Harsha says this somewhere - Even if the final inference that there is fire on a mountain is correct, the way in which it has been inferred is wrong because you mistook fog for smoke! So your inference borne of error is essentially wrong but your conclusion is merely a co-incidence!
The major issue is that there are very few who study these subjects. Even in this forum there are only a handful who participate. So only those views resound. Fresh seekers are either misled by saying don't care to study it's pointless or they will teach their own versions which they believe. Most Vedantic teachers are part-timers or pensioners who have found a new hobby (which is not bad but they are not always correct). I wondered if there are any authentic teachers of Vedanta who are also sadhakas and so I decided to listen to a Sanyasin. He spoke for an hour but said very little. The contents of the talk could have been covered in 5 mins but he went on for an hour or more. It was almost like a stand-up comedy where he tried to make people laugh. Vedantic comedy. Haha.
The very few people who actually study, try to honestly understand the real intent by comparing and analysing various views are mostly Indians who are studying in some western universities. But even they suffer from few shortcomings as is natural. But it's a real shame that we Indians have lost the scholastic aptitude and have turned into sycophants.