[Advaita-l] DSV in the advaitasiddhi: no anavasthA doSha in dRShTi-sRShti

Srinath Vedagarbha svedagarbha at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 13:34:25 EDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Anand Hudli via Advaita-l <

> Brahmananda refutes this objection as follows. svaccheShu sukhAdiShu
> citpratibiMbasaMbhavAt vRttirna svIkriyate| tatsvIkAre api
> parasparaviShayakavRttidvayasvIkArAt na anavasthA| We do not accept a
> (mental) vRtti in the case of pleasure, pain, etc, in which Consciousness
> can be reflected. Even if we accept vRttis, we accept two vRttis that have
> contents of each other.

Saying "two vRittis that have contents of each other" itself is a piece of
knowledge, who's knowledge is this? That begs again the need for
consciousness delimited by vritti.  You are back to original anavastha
dOSha.

You can get away with this problem if you were to admit one of those two
vRittis is svaprakASha and hence svayam-nirvahaka in serving this knowledge
without need of Consciousness. But by saying so, you will end up with two
conscious entities -- the original Conscious and this vRitti with
svaprakAShatva.

/sv