[Advaita-l] Significance of Mula Avidya

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 10:08:32 EDT 2017

Namaste Adityaji,

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Aditya Kumar <kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com>
wrote:
​​

> A : Thanks. I asked this because I remember reading somewhere that there
> is no Avidya whatsoever in deep sleep state. Not sure if there is such a
> view.

If there is such a view, it has been refuted by Bhashyakara in Chandogya
6th chapter, where he says that the person in deep sleep would become mukta
in such a case [and thereby have no reason to wake up at all].
​
​
​I'll let the Bhamati objections be, since all those are already answered
in Naishkarymasiddhi. Although I subscribe to Vivarana, I have no issues
with Bhamati, since I consider that both prakriyAs resolve doubts for those
who have them, being very well convinced that all objections in either
prakriyA (or both) will stand resolved for one who follows it with
commitment, but a thorough study with more sub-commentaries on
sub-commentaries may be needed. That is to say, to each his own; whatever
works for one to move onward from manana proper.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */​