[Advaita-l] Significance of Mula Avidya

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 03:38:05 EDT 2017

No, I meant rajju avacChinna chaitanyam Ashrita avidyA because the sarpa is
a product of that avidyA and a cause cannot exist in its own effect.

The avidyA cannot reside in the rope either because it is insentient, thus
it is resident in the consciousness delimited by the rope, and it's AvaraNa
shakti covers the snake. When a seers later looks at the object he first
sees that there is something there.

When the rope is not clearly perceived, the avidyA resident in the
consciousness delimited by the rope projects the snake using vikshepa
shakti. Later when the seer sees the object clearly, the rajjvAkAra vritti
removes that sarpa and rajju AvaraNa, allowing the consciousness delimited
by the rajjvAkAra vritti to reveal the rope.
Regards,
Venkatraghavan