[Advaita-l] Chanting gayatri overseas

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 06:18:18 EDT 2017

Namaste

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Namaste
> I was surprised to know that  Sri Vaishnava Acharyas have no hesitation
> traveling abroad.

If you read history of Ramanuja you will see he had many non Brahmin and
non Dvija disciples. They do not strictly practice Varna Ashrama Dharma.
Famous story is of the Sudra disciple Villidasan. Read it here -

https://kmkvaradhan.wordpress.com/2015/05/14/caste-verses-virtue-swamy-ramanujas-lesson-to-disciples/

Not only there were Sudras disciples but they also became converted to
Srivaishnava Brahmins with Ramanuja's blessings. That is why they say the
Sri Vaishnava Mata have many converted Brahmins in them. It is like some
person today may have a Sudra ancestor in his line.

If they are not following the Varna Ashrama Dharma the ocean crossing ban
does not apply for them. They are free to roam about everywhere on Mother
Earth.

Of the Tri Matastha Brahmins only Smaarta and Maadhwa Brahmins follow Varna
Ashrama rules strictly. Gaudiya Vaishnavas like ISKCON people are relaxed
and they are free to roam anywhere. ISKCON has also converted many Sudras
into Dvijas and they can do Archana of Krishna in the temple.

Saiva Siddhanta followers also have no restriction.

> https://chinnajeeyar.guru/chinnajeeyar/hh-chinna-jeeyar-swamiji-usa-visit/
>
> I do not know what is the particular reasoning they use to justify  travel
> abroad.
>
> I am assuming that in such matters, the same Baudhayana Dharma Sutras etc.,
> are followed by them.
>

> Om
> Raghav
>

> On 09-Oct-2017 1:30 PM, "Sujal Upadhyay via Advaita-l" <
>
> > Namaste Sri Kalyan ji,
> >
> > I am not saying that he is unaware. That is why I use the word
> > 'unconcerned'. I understand that many will not find my argument
> convincing.
> > Some may consider it as weak argument. That is ok.
> >
> > Thank you for sharing your opinion and thank you for taking part in
> > discussion.
> >
> > Hari OM
> > Sujal
> >

> > On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Kalyan <kalyan_kg at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sri Sujalji
> > >
> > > I dont know how to respond to your posts.From what you say below, you
> > seem
> > > to intend to deny a direct connection between the guru and SVBF. I find
> > > your view unconvincing. Pardon me if I am wrong about your views.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the discussion.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Kalyan
> > >

> > > //Direct guidance does not mean he is
> > >  actively involved in day-2-day activities. No I am not
> > >  chanigng sides :) He may be involved in setting up a matha,
> > >  but that's it.//
> > >
> > >  //I personally think that Sringeri Jagadguru remains aloof to many
> > > things. This does not mean he is unaware. He may or may not be aware.
> it
> > > depends if the issue is minor or major one. I would prefer to use the
> > word
> > > 'unconcerned'. I also feel that the website or any activity like
> > > Newsletter, etc is not directly managed by him, meaning that he is not
> > > actively involved in these kind of activities. //

> > For assistance, contact:
> > listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

Regards

-Venkatesh