[Advaita-l] Chanting Gayatri overseas

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 00:58:08 EDT 2017

Namaste
On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Kalyan via Advaita-l <

> Subbuji,
>
> I appreciate your liberal and practical outlook.
>
> But as far as crossing the ocean is concerned, what applies to any
> brAhmaNa also applies to the Sringeri Acharya. So if there are "vibrant
> Hindu communities with Vedic knowledge" in distant lands, what prevents the
> AchArya from going there physically? Perhaps because he knows that it is
> prohibited. If it is prohibited for him, same for others.
>
> So, your arguments don't really sound convincing.

The ocean crossing prohibition is only for a person practicing Varna and
Ashrama Dharma. Even for him there is a Prayaschitta after coming back. For
others like Caarvaaka Materialists there is no ban. A person in Varna
Ashrama Dharma can take decision to A - go abroad and do Prayaschitta after
coming back or B - not go abroad. It is his decision and we cannot question
it.
Sanyasa also comes under Ashrama Dharma only. A Sanyasi can take his own
decision. We cannot question it.

> [...]
>
>   to this too, for one sees conduct like 'marrying
>
>   one's maternal daughter, eating meat, etc. A person
>
>   might get a doubt as to these issues too. In that case,
>  he
>
>   has to be guided by the practices of noble persons who
>  live
>
>   in that place, at that time, where this person
>
>   lives.
>
>   So it is very
>
>   clear that in the matter of conduct, dharma, there
>  can't
>
>   be any 'eternal' law; it is essentially decided
>  by
>
>   desha and kāla.  That is exactly what Shankara has said
>  in
>
>   the Brahma sutra bhashya. All that the Veda or he
>  himself
>
>   has said elsewhere has to be understood in the light of
>  this
>
>   statement of Shankara and the Taittiriyopanishat. Also,
>  one
>
>   can see the other element that I had highlighted: it is
>  the
>
>   adherence to yama (akrodha, etc.) that gains supremacy
>  over
>
>   niyama. The Taittiriya says: those brahmanas who are
>  not
>
>   given to krodha, kāma, etc. as Shankara has
>  highlighted.
>
>   Dharma differs from place to place, time to time.
>

>   The
>
>   maṭhāmānya that you seem to refer to does not say
>
>   anything about the topic.  So, your own ignorance or
>
>   whatever, you are trying to superimpose on the
>  Jagadguru.
>
>   Also is important to keep in mind what Shankara has said
>  in
>
>   the BGB: even if one is proficient in all shāstra-s, if
>  he
>
>   has not acquired knowledge according to the sampradāya,
>  his
>
>   views are to be rejected as those of a fool. The view
>  you
>
>   have expressed does not bear the kind of sampradāya
>  that
>
>   Shankara has adhered to as is evident in his
>
>   bhāṣya.
>

>   regardssubrahmanian.v
>

>   Anyway
>
>   Ram
>

>   On 7
>
>   October 2017 at 10:23, Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via
>  Advaita-l
>
>   <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedan
>
>   ta.org> wrote:
>
>   That's
>
>   an excellent bhAShya reference, Subbu ji,  on how
>  dharma
>
>   can
>

>   definitely be reinterpreted by shiShTa-s in keeping with
>  the
>
>   present desha
>

>   and kAla. No doubt it's not a licence to say,
>  anything
>
>   goes. We have to
>

>   cautiously move on.
>

>   But to say that all NRI brahmins are patita-s as long

Regards

-Venkatesh