[Advaita-l] Chanting Gayatri overseas

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 02:05:15 EDT 2017

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <

> Namaste
>
> https://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=3065
>
> 'The difference of practice on the issue among the various Hindu
> denominations is based on the scriptures each considers authoritative.
> Harsha Ramamurthy in his erudite article on the issue (
> kamakshi16.tripod.com/samudrayana.html
> <https://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/kamakshi
> 16.tripod.com/samudrayana.html>),
> explains that, according to Baudhayana Sutra, the highest authority in
> deciding a question of dharma is shruti, our primary scriptures, the Vedas
> and Agamas. Next is the smriti, the secondary scriptures, which include the
> Dharma Shastras. Third is sampradaya, the teachings and practices of a
> specific lineage. He concludes, "Though there seems to be no direct ban on
> ocean travel in shruti, because of the bans in smriti and sampradaya, such
> travel is considered a banned activity." He said in communication with
> Hinduism Today that the ban is observed both by the Madhva Sampradaya and
> Smarta Sampradaya (which includes the Shankaracharyas of Sringeri, Kanchi,
> etc.), as both adhere closely to the Dharma Shastras.

It is well known that Sri Sugunendra Theertha of the Puttige mutt, one of
the eight maṭha-s said to have been established by Madhva, does undertake
foreign trips and some years ago there was a raging controversy about his
paryāya at Udupi Sri Krishna Temple.  As I had reported in this thread, he
has released a book on this very topic, that sees no defilement, authored
by a practicing Madhva settled in the US.

It should also be noted that śiṣṭāchāra is also a pramāṇa. The Sringeri
Jagadguru, though has not traveled abroad, nevertheless does not impose the
smṛti-ban on others. He does not excommunicate any devotee of the Peetham
for having traveled abroad. I have heard that there is the rule that is in
vogue that those from the Peetham at Sringeri who travel abroad are not
allowed to conduct worship in the temples there any longer.  Someone said,
once the present Jagadguru had observed that so far the Pontiffs of the
peetha have observed the ban for themselves but nothing can be said about
the coming generations. As has been reported in this thread, the Peetham
has institutions abroad, in the USA for some decades now and all religious
activity is conducted there. The Jagadguru has blessed the activity there
through a webinar type live relay from here.

regards
vs