[Advaita-l] On evidence for and against Yugas of Indian chronology

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 05:44:36 EST 2017

Interesting. The idea of shrAddha karma conducted every one earth year
being equivalent to one day of the pitrloka, or brahma's lifespan of 100
years being equivalent to c.300 trillion earth years is a variant of the
time dilation concept. According to a common sankalpam (used in many
religious functions, including upAkarma), since the current Brahma's birth,
155 trillion years have passed. Interestingly modern science estimates the
time elapsed since the big bang to be about 13.8 billion years, which is
roughly equivalent to 1.5 days of Brahma.

One potential way to explain the difference in scale between the two is to
postulate several expansions of the universe from a singularity and
contraction back into a singularity. That is, the age of the universe
postulated by science refers to only the current phase of expansion, and
there have been infinite number of such expansions and contractions of the
universe before the current big bang. Anyway, we are digressing from the
topic.

The specific story of King Revata / Raivata going to brahmaloka with his
daughter Revati and being told that several millennia have passed during
their time in brahmaloka is in the viShNnu purANa (
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vp/vp093.htm) and devI bhAgavatam (
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/db/bk07ch08.htm). Maybe it is in the
Mahabharata too, but I am not able to locate it at the present.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Aditya Kumar via Advaita-l <