[Advaita-l] On evidence for and against Yugas of Indian chronology

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 06:41:28 EST 2017

Namaste
I do not know of specific quotations but the fact that different pramANas
have different domains is captured by the idea of anadhigatatvaM of the
pramaNas. So when shruti talks of atman and brahman etc., these topics
being not the subject matter for pratyaksha and anumAna there is no
conflict between shruti/agamas and modern science. Even where there are
mentions of anumAna topics in shruti, they are merely anuvAda of what is
obtainable through anumAna (incl. arthApatti etc) and in such matters
anumAna prevails.

Sri Sankara bhagavatpAda says in gita 18.66 bhAShya

प्रत्यक्षादिप्रमाणानुपलब्धे हि विषये अग्निहोत्रादिसाध्यसाधनसम्बन्धे श्रुतेः
प्रामाण्यम् , न प्रत्यक्षादिविषये, अदृष्टदर्शनार्थविषयत्वात् प्रामाण्यस्य ।
तस्मात् न दृष्टमिथ्याज्ञाननिमित्तस्य अहंप्रत्ययस्य देहादिसङ्घाते गौणत्वं
कल्पयितुं शक्यम् । न हि श्रुतिशतमपि‘शीतोऽग्निरप्रकाशो वा’ इति ब्रुवत्
प्रामाण्यमुपैति । यदि ब्रूयात् ‘शीतोऽग्निरप्रकाशो वा’ इति, तथापि अर्थान्तरं
श्रुतेः विवक्षितं कल्प्यम् , प्रामाण्यान्यथानुपपत्तेः, न तु
प्रमाणान्तरविरुद्धं स्ववचनविरुद्धं वा
My liberal translation of the key parts...

Only in matters unavailable for pratyaksha etc., as in the case of
agnihotra and its results, shruti has prAmANyam.....even a hundred shruti
vakyas saying fire is cold or not luminous do not have any prAmANyam. Even
if it is said so in shruti, we have to assume some other intended meaning,
rather than take a (literal) meaning which contradicts other pramANas or
shruti itself (in some other place).

The well-known  passage is actually a remarkable one since it's also a
clear demonstration of why there was never any conflict in Indian history
between 'science' and the sanAtana dharma unlike the church and science
conflict in the West.  The vaidika scholarly consensus would always
determine the meanings of the vedas and it's allied texts in such away as
to both protect shruti prAmANyam as well as give the discoveries of anumAna
etc., their due.

Different pramAnas sometimes need reconciliation and there are no easy
methods to do so. In some cases it may be simple for example, I see a Guru
who is a well-wisher hold a yellow rose in his hand and tell the student 'I
am holding a white rose'. He is an Apta and his words (shabda) have
prAmANyam. But it is clashing with another pramANa viz., my eyes.

Depending on the situation I may analyze and finally  choose to surrender
to my eyes as the pramANa and explain away his words as being an
inadvertent mistake.

Or in another different situation, maybe we can closely examine the
situation and see that the light in the room has a strong yellow hue and so
although it appears yellow, its actually a white rose, so the Guru is
right.

While I make up my mind, both the 'prama-s' will be critically examined ...
But eventually I settle the issue * by suitably explaining *  the wrong
perception (bhrama) as either a mistake of the speaker or alternatively as
a result of yellow light. It depends...

therefore wherever modern science gives reasons for the non existence of
yuga chronology etc., closer examination is necessary of both the
conflicting ideas from itihasa and science is unavoidable. There are no
easy ways out.

Hope the above helped.

Om