[Advaita-l] Question/Clarification on Chanting Vaidika mantras

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 13:57:14 EDT 2017

Dear Bhaskar,

I quite do not understand your questions at all, sorry. Are you saying
below that ALL yajur-veda udAtta-s become svarita-s in yajur-veda? I
am pretty sure this is not the case. The bhAgya sUktam for example
translates pretty much one-to-one regarding udAtta-s.

Or are you thinking about a specific mantra? It's quite possible some
specific words are treated differently in the yajur and Rg. For
example, For example, the samAsa anAturam is treated differently in Rg
and yajur with regard to svara-s, but this is reflected in the
different meanings as preserved in the pada-pATha.

If you are thinking of a particular example, please specify the entire
mantra and where it occurs in Rg and yajur along with svara-s if you
cannot provide the text references. Wikners transliteration would be
good.

Furthermore, there is no connection between hrasva and dIrgha and
svara-s udAtta, etc. The udAtta can be on a hrasva or dIrgha vowel. So
can any of the other svara-s.

I am also not sure what you mean by Kanchi pATha. Do you mean the
Tamil method? Tamil Nadu > Kanchi :-).

BTW, in the mantra adaa!"suu.s.tarasya_ veda!.h, the udAtta syllables
are "a" in the first word and "ve" in the second word. It's not da,
whch is svarita.

Rama