[Advaita-l] Question/Clarification on Chanting Vaidika mantras

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 09:14:33 EDT 2017

Namaste Rama ji
 Thank you for your inputs. You have researched this topic deeply and I am
taking the liberty of asking a few doubts on chanting.

Regarding meaning being changed by change in svara - I have a doubt. Are
there other examples other than the stock example of indrashatrurvardhate?

I remember being told that the above indrashatru logic is extendable to
other cases of a word being interpreted either as a bahuvrIhi or tatpuruSha
based on accents. Based on pANinIya shikShA? But don't recollect the
details.

Also are there any details in shikShA about what other places a svara
change effects a meaning change?

And the other side of the question - and I can see that this is slippery
slope so will not press the point- where the svara change does not effect a
meaning change (are there any rules to assert this ?)- what are we to make
of such (unchaste) chanting. Will it still be efficacious ?

One last question - its a common practice (I do so quite often) to chant a
few assorted suktas after the morning sandhya . Such chanting has
discernible dRShTa phala in the form of cittanaiscalyam. My question is  -
since there is no particular vidhi from a brAhmaNa being followed in such
chanting (afaik), is there any adRShTa at all which accrues from such
chanting after sandhya or on some other occasions like say on a visit to a
temple?

One last question - if a mistake occurs while chanting a line from a sUkta,
can it be corrected by 're-chanting' that particular line or phrase or is
the chanting thereby irretrievably blemished.

Om
Raghav

On 01-Nov-2017 3:42 PM, "Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan via Advaita-l" <