[Advaita-l] नमः शिवायै च नमः शिवाय - Ardhanareeshwara Stotram by Adi Shankaracharya

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 07:32:37 EDT 2017

Namaste Sri Venkatraghavan Mahodaya,

It is true we can say Parvatipa Rameshvarau. It is good. But in rules of
Upama the two objects of comparison must have same Linga. Vak is Stri Linga
and Artha is Pullinga. If we are comparing Vak = Parvatipa and Artha =
Rameshvara -  Vak and Parvatipa will not match even though Artha and
Rameshvara match. But the words of great persons like Kanchi Swamiji cannot
be false. We must accept it also.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that Venkatesh ji.
>
> Not related to the ardhanArIshvara stotra-
>
> Sri Chandrashekharendra Sarasvati Swamigal mentions that after the
> recitation of the Raghuvamsha verse, its last quarter (vande
> pArvatiparameshvarau) is traditionally repeated as vande pArvatipa
> rameshvarau, ie with a gap between pArvatIpa and rameshvarau. This is to
> indicate obeisance to Shiva (pArvatyA: pAlaka:) and ViShNu (ramAyA:
> Ishvara:), the two fathers of the universe.
>
> Apologies if this has been mentioned in the list previously, but your
> opening words reminded me of Periyava's message from Deivatthin Kural.
>
> Regards,
> Venkatraghavan
>
> On 3 Nov 2017 5:21 a.m., "Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l" <
>
> Namaste
>
> *Vagarthaviva sampriktau vagarthah pratipattaye | *
> *Jagatah pitarau vande parvathiparameshwarau || – Kalidasa's Raghuvamsha
> 1.1 *
> I pray parents of the world, Lord Shiva and Mother Parvathi, who are
> inseparable as speech and its meaning to gain knowledge of speech and its
> meaning.
>
> The two Shiva and Parvati are so inseparable they have joined with each
> other to form Ardhanareeshwara. Adi Sankara has written a beautiful Stotra
> on Ardhanareeshwara. Once again he has used very beautiful combination of
> words to describe the two parts of Ardhanareeshwara - one Shivaa and one
> Shiva. One line he is describing Shivaa and next he is describing Shiva.
> Alternating lines like this are used. In Sloka 4 he is saying Samekshanayai
> vishamekshanaya. Parvati has even number of eyes but Shiva has odd number
> of eyes. In 6th Sloka he is saying Nireeswarayai Nikhileswaraya. Parvati is
> without a Lord because She is same as Shiva. She is Nireeshwaraa. Shiva is
> the Lord of All. He is Nikhileshwara. In Sloka 7 Jagajjananyai
> Jagadekapitre. She is the Mother of the World and He is the one and only
> Father.
>
> Listen to beautiful song by T.S. Ranganthan -
> https://youtu.be/WE_Wsp5Yrbo
>
> Stotra and translation -
>
> http://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_devii/ardhanArI_mean.pdf
>

> --