[Advaita-l] On mantra-s

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 04:27:32 EDT 2017

Namaste,

In the last few weeks, there have been many messages on chanting of mantras
and if mantras are effective at all places. Here, I am presenting my
views on this topic, as I understand these things:

1. The samAsa break up of the word mantra is : manana trayate iti mantra.
   Meaning - mantra is to be contemplated upon and then it achieves the
   desired result of protecting, uplifting, preventing from falling.

2. The Vedic mantras basically describe aspects of kshetra and kshetra-kshetrajna
   interaction - as stated in Gita 13.4. In other words, mantras are basically
   talking about few tattva-s and their influence on aspects of our life, and
   their interactions, etc.

3. In each aspect of our multifaceted life we have to react with karma which
   can be of kAyA, vAcA, or mana (loosely: body, speech, mind). And this
   karma causes a modification in tattva-s. And this modification of
   tattva-s creates the adRShTa.

4. When our reaction (with karma) is largely under influence of incorrect
   understating of what underlying tattva-s are getting affected, and the
   manner in which they are getting affected, we are operating in the
   realm of avidyA. And our karma creates adRShTa that is a mixture of
   positive and negative.

5. By manana on mantra we can gradually replace advidyA by vidyA. Then our
   reaction (karma) is more appropriate and creates less (or no) negative
   adRShTa.

6. Q: Where is manana on mantras effective ?
   A: Where ever law of karma creates adRShTa. If one is convinced that law
      of karma creating adRShTa is operational only in India, then one can
      certainly say that "manana on mantras" is effective only in India.
      However not every one will agree about this. This is equivalent to

      saying that laws of motion are operational only in and around England
      (where Newton discovered them).

With regards,
Shrinivas Gadkari