[Advaita-l] Who is Ishwara? He is NARAYANA only. Beautiful and soothing Narayana Bhajan

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun May 21 04:01:08 EDT 2017

advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>:

> Namaste
>

> Therefore it is very clear Narayana is the Supreme Ruler of the Universe.
>
> The trouble with Vaishnavas is they are restricting this Narayana to
> meaning Vishnu only. No, Narayana is including Brahma, Siva, Vishnu
> and others also. He is not one particular God but all gods. He is
> Supreme.

In the Br.up. Antaryami Brahmana, Shankara has identified the antaryami
with 'Narayana' and stated that it is sakshimatra (nirguna brahman).
Sureshwara while elucidating this in the Vartika has clearly said that the
'antaryami' of the Vedanta can be anyone: Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva.

It should also be remembered that Shankara in the Kenopanishad pada bhashya
identified Umapati as 'sarvajna Ishwara.' In this very Kena bhashya he has
very clearly stated that if the Brahman is any formed entity like Vishnu,
Ishwara, Indra, Prajapati, that is, upasya, as 'different from the upasaka'
 it will have to be a-brahma and anātma. He concludes that the Kena 1.5 is
specifically aimed at warding off any entity other than the aspirant's true
self as Brahman.  This is nothing but Nirguna Brahman.

> We should also remember Ishwara is not final for Advaita but Nirguna
> Brahma is.

Yes.