[Advaita-l] Fantastic Rudram Chamakam chanting by 21 Priests

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Wed May 3 06:19:55 EDT 2017

Dear Sarmaji,

I did freely admit that I am no expert in all Andhra variations. However
your contention that a bunch of people saying the same thing together means
that it is/must be a tradition is wrong. If you actually know that this is
a genuine Andhra tradition it's something else, but it looks like you don't
and you are just speculating. I am willing to keep an open mind, but have
my doubts.

There's a guy on YouTube who has posted a whole group of 20 or 30 of his
disciples chanting rudram in unison very mellifluously, all of them
chanting naadyaa!ya ca_ instead of naa_dyaaya! ca in rudram, a very common
mistake I hear in North American temple chanting. I later got to know that
the guy teaching is a likhita paaThakaara himself. He has trained a whole
bunch of people to chant as wrong as himself and that too in unison.

My admiration of these pundits has nothing to do with what I heard when I
was young, but everything to do with how they have preserved the
praatishaakhya phonetic injunctions. Quite frankly, unless you are well
versed in taittiriiya praatishakhya phonetic injunctions, you will not know
why the Vediclinks guys are way better than other people. Don't get me
wrong, but the finer points of the Vediclinks chanting are to be
appreciated only by the cognoscenti. It's like the difference between
hearing a good violinist playing four seasons versus Yehudi Menuhin. But it
can be appreciated only by a select few.

Btw, I love hearing North Indian shukla yajur veda recitation.

Rama