[Advaita-l] Vishnu, Bramha, etc. wearing Tripundra

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 13:39:29 EDT 2017

Vishnu, Bramha, etc. wearing Tripundra

Namaste

In the Devi Bhagavata Purana Canto 11, Chapter 13, Sage Narayana (one of
nara-narayana duo) is the narrator of this discourse and Narada is the
listener. There that rishi Narayana details out all the qualities and
glories of 'Bhasma dharana' and tells that not only Vishnu, Brahma, and
Rudra, but also their consorts Lakshmi, Saraswati, Parvati, etc., everyone
dons themselves with Bhasma.

शिवेन विष्णुना चैव ब्रह्मणा वज्रिणा तथा ॥ ९ ॥
हिरण्यगर्भेण तदवतारैर्वरुणादिभिः ।
देवताभिर्धृतं भस्म त्रिपुण्ड्रोद्धूलनात्मकम् ॥ १० ॥
उमादेव्या च लक्ष्या च वाचा चान्याभिरास्तिकैः ।
सर्वस्त्रीभिर्धृतं भस्म त्रिपुण्ड्रोद्धूलनात्मना ॥ ११ ॥
"S’iva, Vi*sn*u, Brahmâ, Indra, Hira*n*yagarbha, and their Avataras, Varu*n*a
and the whole host of the Devas all gladly used this Tripu*nd*ra and ashes.
Durgâ, Lak*s*mî, and Sarasvatî, etc., all the wives of the gods daily
anoint their bodies with ashes and use the Tripu*nd*ras. "

Not only they, but even yaksha, Rakshasas etc., every being applies Bhasma.

For complete reading of that chapter - Here are the chapter links for
sanskrit quotes and english translation.

Sanskrit:

https://tinyurl.com/l3be73k

Translation:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/db/bk11ch13.htm

I thank my friend and member Sri Santosh Kumar Ayalasomayajula in helping
locating the above.

There is a lengthy discussion on the status of the Devi Bhāgavatam in this
reputed lexicon 'śabdakalpadruma':

https://tinyurl.com/k3jd8a6

Regards
subrahmanian.v