[Advaita-l] Why brahma jnAna is capable of sarva nivritti

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 26 11:56:48 EDT 2017

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Srinath Vedagarbha via Advaita-l
< advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> A small typo is regretted;
>
> Please read para;
>
> "This is samvAdi-bhrama, for the vishaya of bhrama i.e gem, is not the
> adhisTAna of bhrama, but the lamp is. Although gem do exist in the room
> nevertheless it is not the adhistAna of the bhramA. Presense of gem is
just
> kaakatALia."
>
> as
>
> This is **not** samvAdi-bhrama, for the vishaya of bhrama i.e gem, is not
> the adhisTAna of bhrama, but the lamp is. Although gem do exist in the
room
> nevertheless it is not the adhistAna of the bhramA. Presense of gem is
just
> kaakatALia.

Well, you have succeeded in creating a bhrama where the adhyasta
(superimposed) is an objection and the adhisThAna is a misunderstanding!!
It looks like an objection (snake), but upon examination it turns out to be
a misunderstanding (rope). And this is a case of visaMvAdi-bhrama!

Let me clarify the example of the gem and the lamp. There are two rooms, A
and B. Room A contains a gem alone, and room B contains a lamp alone. Light
emanates from both the rooms, ie. light from the gem in A and light from
the lamp in B. Two persons, P1 and P2 are standing outside the two rooms,
which are themselves some distance apart so that P1 is somewhere near A and
P2 is near B.  Person P1 sees the light from room A only (not from B) and
runs after it thinking it is coming from a gem. Person P2 see the light
from room B only (not from A) and runs after it, also thinking it is coming
from a gem. However, P1 does succeed in finding the gem in room A,
whereas P2 finds no gem but a lamp in room B. We say person P1 experienced
a saMvAdi-bhrama (P1 found the desired object), while person P2 experienced
a visaMvAdibhrama (P2 did not find the desired object).

Anand