[Advaita-l] Vaadiraaja Teertha's Yuktimallika - Advaita Criticism - Slokas 1-605 to 1-627

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 05:49:45 EDT 2017

If it is proposed that Brahman has control over its guṇa-s and can
manipulate them the way it wants, then those guna-s are no more
non-different from It. Brahman cannot control Brahman. An entity can only
control another entity that is different from itself. niyamya-niyāmaka
bhāva can be there only between two different entities. Also, the guṇa-s on
which Brahman wields control will have to be jaḍa for that which is
different from a controlling Chetana is jaḍa. It is on this basis alone the
BG, for example, exhorts us to cultivate noble qualities and eschew
undesirable, noxious, ones. For, all such guṇa-s are anātma dharma-s under
the control of the chetana.

regards
vs