[Advaita-l] Vaadiraaja Teertha's Yuktimallika - Advaita Criticism - Slokas 1-511 to 1-524

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 06:26:04 EDT 2017

Thank you Sri Anand ji. Having thought about it, I think Sri Anantakrishna
Sastrigal mentions 'ajnAnasya ajnAnaviShayatAyA: vA nivritti:' to
differentiate the ayam ghaTa: pratyaksha jnAna from ghaTa: smaraNam.

In the case of smriti, while the pot in my mind has ajnAnaviShayatA, the
characteristic of ignorance (it is not actively remembered before its
samskAra udbodham), because there is no physical pot itself, there is no
ajnAna to cover it, in the instance before its memory is invoked - and when
smriti jnAna arises, there is ajnAnaviShayatA nivritti, but because there
is no ghaTa ajnAna in the pUrva kshaNa, there is no ghaTa ajnAna nivritti.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On 25 Jun 2017 9:22 a.m., "Anand Hudli via Advaita-l" <

Dear Shri Venkatraghavanji,

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Sri Anand ji,
>
> Thank you for that erudite post.
> I had a question in this regard and would be most grateful if you could
> clarify.
>
> You had translated Sri Anantakrishna Sastrigal's usage of ajnAnaviShayatA
> as "content of ignorance".
>
> Sri Sastrigal says that when a pramANa operates correctly either ajnAna
> nivritti or ajnAnaviShayatA nivritti happens.
>
> ajnAnaviShayatA therefore cannot be the object of ignorance,
ajnAnaviShaya,
> because no one can imply that the object's nivritti happens when ajnAna
> nivritti happens.
>
> Normally, I would have understood ajnAnaviShayatA as ajnAnaviShaya bhAva -
> or the characteristic of being an object of ignorance, and the nivritti of
> that characteristic is certainly possible.
>
> Since you called it the content of ignorance, I was curious to know if
> something else was implied.
>
> What does the content of ignorance actually mean? How does it differ from
> ignorance itself? Why did Sri Ananthakrishna SAstrigal decide to split it
> into ajnAna nivritti *or* ajnAnaviShayatA nivritti?

MM Shri Sastri does not explain, but my guess is as follows. ajnAna of an
object has a correspondence with jnAna.  If I don't know a pot, my specific
ignorance is about the pot, but not another object, say cloth. When a
person says he/she is ignorant we may ask: "Ignorant of what?" The answer
to the question is the content of the ignorance, although I agree it could
be confused with the object itself. It could also be the case that ajnAna
could be general, not restricted to a specific object or specific set of
objects. In that case, the ignorance is in its primary form, ie. mUlAvidyA.
Both these cases have to be considered when we talk about pramANas, since a
pramANa, in general, must satisfy the condition of providing new knowledge
that removes ajnAna. There is also a reference to the siddhAnta-bindu
commentary which I will try to look into in the coming days.

Anand

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Anand Hudli <anandhudli at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >To this, Sri brahmAnandA says, yes mahAvAkya has avidyA apeksha, but here
> >the apekshA of avidyA is not as a doSha. For example, a jaundiced
patient,
> >In whose driShTi, everything is yellow goes to a doctor. The doctor
> >correctly diagnoses the patient. The doctor's knowledge (ie diagnosis)
has
> [...]
> destroyed in order for the knowledge of the pot to arise as a vRtti in the
> mind. Now, this bhAva-rUpa-ajnAna exists for a previously unknown object,
> and through operation of a pramANa, it gets destroyed and replaced by the
> knowledge of the object. However, in the case of a mere recollection or
> memory of an object, the object is not previously unknown, and hence, the
> bhAva-rUpa-ajnAna of the object does not exist, which means the necessary
> condition for anadhigatatva is absent.
>
> In short, without the bhAva-rUpa-ajnAna of an object, the object cannot be
> revealed by a pramANa, and a pramA (valid knowledge) of the object cannot
> arise. It can, however, be recollected as a case of memory, without the
> need for a pramANa.
>
> Anand
>
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Anand Hudli <anandhudli at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Shri Venkatraghavanji,
>>
>> >Re the above, Sri vAdirAja's question is if the pramANa viShaya is
>> >vyAvahArikam, it is by definition bAdhyam upon brahma jnAna. pramANa
>> >according to advaitins is abAdhitArtha viShayatvam, so by definition,
all
>> >the shruti vAkya that have vyAvahArika vastu as their viShaya are not
>> >pramANas. This point by vAdirAja is valid in my opinion, but is not a
>>  > problem for advaita.
>>
>> One of the necessary conditions for a source of knowledge to be called a
>> pramANa is that it should make things known that are not already known
>> (anadhigata). What happens in this case can be examined in two phases. In
>> the phase before the dawn of Brahman knowledge, both abheda and bheda
>> shrutis are pramANas, since we are still in the vyAvahArika phase and
there
>> is no sublation of vyAvahArika objects. After the dawn of Brahman
>> knowledge, *both* abheda and bheda shrutis, ie. the whole shruti itself,
>> becomes atattvAvedaka and ceases to be a pramANa, since it cannot make
any
>> thing known that is not already known. So what I am saying is that we
have
>> either a situation where 1) both bheda and abheda shrutis are
tattvAvedaka
>> or where 2) both abheda and bheda shrutis are atattvAvedaka. The charge
by
>> VAdirAja is that one type of shruti is tattvAvedaka and another is
>> atattvAvedaka, as per the advaitin. But as we have have seen, we will
never
>> be in that situation.
>>
>> Anand
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Anand Hudli <anandhudli at hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> As explained in the vedAnta-paribhAShA, the validity (prAmANya) of
>>> pramANas is of two kinds. vyAvahArika-tattva-Avedakatva is the
>>> capability to make known vyAvahArika reality.
>>> pAramArthika-tattva-Avedakatva is the capability to make known the
Absolute
>>> reality, Brahman. The first kind belongs to pramANas other than the one
>>> which yields BrahmajnAna, whereas the second kind belongs only to
>>> statements (shruti texts) that teach the unity of jIva and Brahman, for
>>> example, sadeva somyedamagra AsIt, tattvamasi, etc. This implies that
Bheda