[Advaita-l] Pitru Rina and progeny

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 01:24:32 EDT 2017

Namaste,

We can arrive at reasonable solutions to such questions using
our sat-asat viveka buddhi cultivated via sAdhanA, and study
and contemplation of vedic texts. (After all, shastra-s are nothing
but a compilation of such well thought solutions.)

We did not start our life in this loka from scratch. We took a
lot from what was already in place when we took birth. Everything
that we took is a debt that we need to pack back.

1. A civilized human society consisting of (a large number of) good,
caring, responsible humans was critical to our well being. Best
way to pack back this debt would be for you to be an equally good
if not better member of human society and bring up equally good
children for continuation of the civilized human society.
(By these acts one retains the eligibility to be born again in this
loka - as humans.)

2. In today's world we have taken a lot from science and technology.
In whatever way we can contribute to research and development
in some field of science and technology will be a good way to pay
back this debt. Not everyone can do this directly, so indirect contributions
should also be okay. (By these acts and similar acts for advancement
of human race/ society one becomes eligible for pitru loka).

3. There are many divine forces at work every moment to ensure a
smooth functioning of life in this loka. Study and sAdhanA to understand
these forces (tattvas) and if possible participating in their divine work
via upAsaNa-s is a very high caliber karma to pay back debt.
(By knowledge and upAsanA of divine vidyA-s one becomes eligible
for deva loka and higher realms.)

I remember having read in some upanishad - progeny entitles one for birth
in this loka, karma makes one eligible for pitru loka, and vidyA makes one
eligible for deva loka. What I have written above is my understanding of
this statement from the upanishad.

Regards,
Shrinivas Gadkari