[Advaita-l] Vaadiraaja Teertha's Yuktimallika - Advaita Criticism - Slokas 1-10 to 1-13

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 20 12:44:31 EDT 2017

I am surprised that VAdirAja does not seem to consider the possibility of
nindA-stuti, which is sometimes used by a bhakta in addressing God.
Consider for example, the song of Purandara Dasa, "dharaNige doreyendu
nambide intha parama lObhiyembudariye shrI hariye." The saint-poet is
actually admonishing his ArAdhya devatA, complaining he thought ViTThala is
the Ruler of the world but did not realize that He is so miserly and
greedy. The song in its entirety is found at the link below:
http://www.karnatik.com/c4742.shtml

Of course, there is also the famous epithet of Rudra, "taskarANAM pati",
leader of thieves, and Krishna is often called navanIta-cora, one who
steals butter. Again, we have the caNDAla episode in the shankara-vijaya,
where Shiva appeared as a caNDAla in Shankara BhagavatpAda's path.

Anand