[Advaita-l] Regarding Padmanabhaswamy

Aditya Kumar kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 05:49:37 EDT 2017

Namaste All,
Thank you for considering my request. I had posed the same question earlier in Yahoo Advaitin group but it was withheld for some reason. Hoping that my email will go through in this list.
Recently there was some news about Padmanabhaswamy temple of Tiruvanantapuram and incidentally I saw the idol of the deity. Here is how it looks : http://cdn2.theeventchronicle.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Sri-Padmanabhaswamy-Temple-Mahavishnu-Idol-32-KG.jpg

Please notice the right hand is over Shiva Ling as if dripping water/(consciousness?) continuously. May be this indicates Yoga Nidra?
And I have personally seen the idol of Ranganatha deity in Sri Rangam where the right hand is under the head of the deity, as if taking rest below a tree. Here is an image : https://cdn.dollsofindia.com/images/products/vishnu-pictures/lord-sri-ranganathaswamy-AD71_l.jpg
My question is, why is there so much difference? What is the significance of this?
Thanks