[Advaita-l] 'I do not know' is bhāvarūpa ajnana

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 08:15:48 EDT 2017

Namaste

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 2:51 PM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

> > > absence
> > > jnAna
> ajnAna
> > > in
> > > >

> > > The akhandakaravritti is not intended to remove the saushuptika ajnana.
> >

> > Then, how and when ( by what means), this bhAvarUpa ajnAna in sushupti,
> is
> > eliminated ?
> >

> As I said before, no one aims to annihilate the bhāvarupa ajnana in
> sushupti.

Why so ? why admit the bhāvarupa ajnana in sushupti, even after getting the
akhandakaravritti, in jAgrat, that destroys avidya that is causing samsara ?

What purpose does it serve ?

> The aim of sadhana is to destroy avidya that is causing samsara.
> When that is done, samsara along with its cause, avidya, ceases. The Jnani
> lives on till the fall of the body and this requires the three states and
> this is taken care of by prarabdha.

Yes, no questions there ..

> > > So only the bliss, etc. part is highlighted. Just some
> > > similarities are shown between deep sleep state and liberation.  The
> two
> > > are not the same.
> > >

> > If deep sleep state is considered as sva-svarUpa sthithi, how does
> > liberating knowledge ( svarUpa jnAna) attained in jAgrat,
> > differs from It?
> >

> The epithet 'sva-svarupa' is only with the intention of helping the
> aspirant understand that the sva svarupa sthiti is devoid of duality,
> misery, etc. This sthiti is always there but is clearly appreciable when
> one considers the sushupti experience. While this sthiti is by default,
> that is not sufficient to liberate a person. For that a conscious effort is
> to be made to attain svarupa jnana in the jāgrat. While the sushupti sva
> svarupa sthiti is experienced everyday, yet every subsequent morning on
> wakes up as a samsari. When atman knowledge is attempted for and attained,
> the idea of one is a samsari is no longer there. That is the difference.

Yes, that is clear .. when atman knowledge is attained, one knows that
Turiyan
alone is, in and through all states .. I see your point is to bring out the
importance
of attaining svarupa jnana in waking, and not in showing any difference
between deep
sleep state and liberation.

Thanks