[Advaita-l] Bhamati DSV theory according to Siddhanta Bindu

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 14:10:19 EDT 2017

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Aditya Kumar <kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Namaste Subrahmanianji,
>
> Thank you for providing various references. But then it's all about how we
> interpret/understand it. For eg, how do we interpret 'Jagat karanam
> Achyutam'.

The jagat karanam is that entity that is devoid of fall from its true
nature. Here are some hints to such an understanding from Shankara:

ननु तत्र तत्र प्रसाधितमेतत् — अधिकमसंसारि ब्रह्म जगत्कारणम् ; तदेव च
संसारिण आत्मनः पारमार्थिकं स्वरूपम् उपनिषत्सु उपदिश्यत इति — सत्यं
प्रसाधितम् ;BSB3.4.2      Brahman which is asamsaari is jagatkaaranam, that
indeed is the samsaari atman's (jiva's) absolute nature.

तथा तमेव आह, अच्युतं स्वरूपादप्रच्युतमसि इति द्वितीयं यजुः । Chandogya
3.7.6 [Achyuta: you are that who has not fallen from your true nature].

> And thanks for the links. Interesting development in Advaita and it's
> rival schools over the centuries. And also, if I may ask, is there anyone
> today who is considered as self-realized like Adi Shankara?

This assessment is a subjective one and even if indeed there is/are such
realized ones there can be disagreement among people. For, who is to attest
X as self-realized? A sadhaka, by Ishwara's grace, comes to accept his/ a
Guru as self-realized. Krishna said in the Gita: Approach jnanis and they
will instruct you about the Tattva. Even in the case of Sri Ramana
Maharshi, there are persons who do not accept him as self-realized.