[Advaita-l] Debunking Drishti-Srishti Vada and Eka Jiva Vada - part 1

Aditya Kumar kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 15 03:29:35 EDT 2017

I do apologise for the fact that I have not given proper references in my article so far. I was referring to the Sutra 2-2-29 which goes like this : vaidharmyAshcha na svapnAdivat. I will also quote the previous sutra that is 2-2-28 : nAbhAvaha upalabdEhe.
I will give the English translations here : Non-existence of external things are not true on account of their being experienced.2-2-28 : According to them (Bauddha Idealists), the external world is non-existent. Does it mean that the objective world is absolutely non-existent like the horns of a hare, or does it mean that it is unreal even as the dreams. The sutra refutes the former view. In that case we could not have experienced it. The external world is an object of experience through the senses and therefore cannot be absolutely non-existent like the horns of a hare. The Buddhist may say that  he does not affirm that he is conscious of no object but only that what is seen in his consciousness alone shines as something external. But then the very nature of consciouness itself  proves the existence of external objects different from consciousness for men are conscious of things or objects  of perception, and nobody is conscious of his perception merely. The very fact that the Bauddhas say that the internal cognition appears 'as something external' shows that the external world is real. If it were not real, the comparison 'like something external' would be meaning less. No one says that Devadutta is like a son of a barren woman.
Now the sutra that I was talking about 2-2-29:      vaidharmyAshcha na svapnAdivat
Eng translation : And owing to the difference of nature in the consciousness between waking and dream state, both cannot be equated.
The Bauddhas may say that the perception of the external world is to be considered similar to dreams and the like. In a dream, there are no external objects; yet the ideas appear as a twofold form as subject-object. The appearance of the external world is similarly independent of any objective reality. This sutra refutes that view. There is a difference between the dream and waking state. What is seen in the dream state is contradicted by waking state. The dream state is like a memory/impression but the waking state is real perception so it can';t be rejected as untrue. Moreover what is the proof of existence of consciousness except for experience? If that is so, why would not an object which is experienced be taken as existing? It may be said that even the Vedantins acknowledge the unreality of the external world, since it is contradicted by the knowledge of Brahman, and this view is based on shruti. But the bauddhas do not accept the authority of the vedas( and hence their view is flawed)
Here Shankara clears all confusions that may arise. When Shankara says Vedantins consider that eternal world is unreal as per shruti, he means that - the world is independent of the observer and yet unreal because their cause cannot be determined. Not because, the perception of the external world by the senses are unreal/or like the dreams, as believed by idealists. This is where Maya comes in and this is where prakasananda sides with Buddhists when he vouches for subjective-idealism which has no basis.