[Advaita-l] An interesting observation by a Vishishtādvaitin

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jul 12 01:45:38 EDT 2017

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I always wonder whenever I hear this story.  How can mere calling his son 'nArAyaNa' at the death bed confused nArAyaNa, the lord's  'dUta-s' and mistook that he indeed chanted nArAyaNa nAma with all bhakti bhAva and took him to vaikunTa lOka??  No bhAva only nAma would grant us the sAlOkya / sAyujya mukti then ?  Or is this mere eulogy of power of nArAyaNa nAma?? Not sure.  But purandara dAsa sings in Kannada, neenyAko raNga ninna hangyaako, ninna nAmada bala ondiddare sAko.  ( a rough translation : Ranga (vittala / nArAyaNa) I neither need you, nor your grace, the power of your name is enough for me) But here also bhAva is aimed towards his ishta devata 'purandara vittala' unlike in this case of ajamila where he just remembered and called his mortal son's name nArAyaNa.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar