[Advaita-l] [advaitin] The Bhashyas of Adi Shankara

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 17:04:22 CST 2017

Dear Vidyasankarji,

You have to realize that there is difference between a lie and a possible mistake. I could have also said that the Sringeri math lied when it gave a guruparamoara with a gap of 700 years, but I refrained from doing that. I find that you are very fond of branding other people as liars, even when they have not lied.

You may remember that when I was enquiring from you as to who is the person to whom I should send my book so that it reaches his holiness the Shankaracharya of Sringeri math and you advised me to send a couple of copies of the book to you as you yourself were planniing a visit soon to Sringeri and you can do that for me, I promptly sent the copies to you. In page 24 of the book I wrote as follows :

<It is believed that Adi Shankaracharya at first wanted to write on the Lalita Trishati, a Samayachara textand he asked someone to fetch him a copy of that. But that person brought to him a copy of the Bhagavad Gita (obviously the vulgate versionwith 700 verses) and he took that version utself for writing the bhashya thinking that to be the will of God.>

As regards Karmarkar's views, he said only with some reservation that if the Bhagavadgitabhshya is (at all) by Adi Shankara, then  it  could have been Adi Shankara's first work  and he might have matured by the time he wrote the later bhashyas and thus a difference could have occurred in the his styles used in the Bhagavadgitabhashya and the other bhashyas.

That is why I was trying to see if Sri Vidysankara (who is considered, rightly or wrongly, by some people as next only to Adi Shankaracharya in scholarship)  could have authored that bhashya. Later on, after reading about the Bhashya of Bhaskara, I wanted to look, from  historical / chronological considerations, if  Abhinava Shankara, (whom the Kanchi Kamakoti math considers to be one of the greatest Shankaracharyas), could have been the author of the Bhagavadgitabhshya.  Instead of lauding my honest efforts you became hostile and critical.

Regards,
Sunil KB