[Advaita-l] Shaivism and Vedic Hinduism

Sriram Sankaranarayanan ssriram1992 at icloud.com
Thu Jan 5 15:05:21 CST 2017

Dear Sri Subrahmanian ji,

I have heard (perhaps incorrectly), that unlike Shankara, Ramanuja's
ideology was ambiguous to his own followers, leading into the
vadagalai/thenkalai division, each claiming that it is their version of
philosophy that Ramanuja propounded. One version (north-istic or vadagalai)
believes in a strict caste based hierarchy while the other (south-istic or
Thenkalai) doesn't.  A google search returned me this link, which has the
following

*16. Caste and Prapanna, how related?*
*N. Say that a Prapanna, but who is of an inferior caste, is deserving of
only so much respect as may be displayed by the tongue.*
*S. Say that no such limitations can be tolerated. A Prapanna must be
regarded completely as a Prapanna, irrespective of caste, creed, or colour.
No inequality begat by caste or other such formalities and conventions
ought to separate the godly from the godly.*

The above is one of the many differences between the two sects. The source
link is here -
https://sreevaishnavam.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/vadakalai-thenkalai-doctrinal-differences/
. I am not sure about the authenticity of this source though.

Best,
Sriram

Hamsah Soham

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 1:22 PM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <