[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Works of Sri Vidyashankara

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 1 16:52:09 CST 2017

 Dear Vidyashankarji,

 I think you have not known that my doubts about the
 authorship of the Bhagavadgitabhashya by Adi Shankara, arose
 only after I came to know about Prof. Karmarkar's analysis.
 It looks as if due to prejudice many have not cared to read
 the paper of Karmarkar. So there is no case of
 force-fitting, and it was only the open way of examining new
 information.

 Good that now I find that the general opinion is that Sri
 Vidyashankar had not written any text. But there must be
 some reason why both the Kudali Sringeri and the Sringeri
 mathas have the grand Vidyashankar temples in their
 premises, but similar honour to the other post-AdiShankara
 pontiffs are miising.

 Regarding Nava Shankara or Abhinava Shankara, it was Shri
 Pathak who got the three page document on that according to
 which this Nava Shankara was born in 788 CE. Shri Pathak
 published a paper on that. It is interesting to see that the
 Sringeri matha also claimed the date of their first
 mathadhipati from that time. This probably gave an
 impression to some scholars like Udaivir Shastri that the
 Sringeri math was established by this Abhinava Shankara.
 Abhinava Shankara, for your kind information is one of the
 pontiffs of the Kanchi Kamakoti matha.

 As regards Shri Niranjan Saha's paper I wrote back to him in
 private as he asked for a review of his paper. I am yet to
 hear from Shri Saha.

 I don't condemn the mathas other than the Sringeri matha,
 and I also look with an open mind at what others are saying,
 even if they differ from the opinion of the Sringeri, for
 which I have great respect. I wish I belonged to the inner
 circle of the Shringeri matha, so that I could have helped
 the matha to undo the wrongs the historians had done to that
 matha.

 Regards,
 Sunil KB

 On Sun, 1/1/17, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at gmail.com>