[Advaita-l] A question on PariNAma and vivarta

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 08:33:34 EST 2017

      From: H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
 Clay is the material cause of all the modificationsincluding clod,jar,pot etc. By knowing one such modification, namely clod, allother modifications of clay become known.  Regards----------------------

Chandramouliji - PraNams
The correct interpretation is by knowing the essence of one of the clay products the essence of all clay products are known. It is the knowledge of the material cause or upaadadna kaarana. Yes it is the knowledge of the material cause clay not clod or pot or clod modifying pot etc that is relevant here. The knowledge of the material cause is possible only since it is vavarta and not parinaama - unlike the case of milk to curds.

 Since the material cause is unaltered it is vivarta while the names and forms of the products are different as naama-ruupas are different.

Hari Om!Sadananda