[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Satkaryavada of Sankhya and Vivarta vada of Advaita

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 15:05:07 EST 2017

The confusion is to be addressed as follows. In advaita, we accept that a
real cause can produce an apparent effect and an apparent cause can produce
a real effect. There is no rule that a cause and its effect must both be
equally real or equally apparent.

Both the rope and the man who sees the snake are real but the snake is only
apparent. The fear and the sweating that the man then experiences are real,
but that which caused the real fear is the apparent snake. If you trace the
chain of causality for the fear back to the man's own erroneous
imagination, then you need to decide whether that imagination is real or
not. If real, then you have to agree that this real cause results in an
apparent snake, the effect. If not real, you should agree that a not real
cause results in an apparent snake, which then results in a real fear felt
by the man.

It should not be difficult to see that you always have an interplay of both
vivarta and pariNAma going on in this process.

Vidyasankar

On Feb 9, 2017 2:25 PM, "Kripa Shankar via Advaita-l" <