[Advaita-l] [advaitin] A question on PariNAma and vivarta, epilog

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 07:38:43 CST 2017

PraNAms

I had to reopen the discussion just to point out of some interesting aspects. I do agree that I have not understood Shree Vidyaranya properly - that motivated me to raise the issue in the first place.  I have no desire to irritate anybody, since I do see His glory in all.

 I will talk about reversible, irreversible and transformation-less transformations later and their relevance to parinaama and vivarta. I do find some of the fundamental concepts in science can be used effectively to communicate some of the Vedantic concepts, particularly to those who are exposed to science. I have no desire to address the traditionalists, as I know it is a waste of their time!

The point I want to bring here now is in the sloka 49 and also reference to little bit earlier slokas in the same chapter, the essence concurs Shree Subbuji's post.   Vidyaranya clearly points out in this sloka  that the milk becoming curds which I referred to as irreversible transformation is indeed called as parinaam since the original is lost -due to irreversible transformation. On the other hand the mud-pot and gold-ear ring examples he refers to them as vivarta only.

sloka 13-49 of panchadashi.

pariNaame puurva ruupam tyajet tat ksheerarupavat|

mRit suvarNe nivarteti ghaaTad kundala yoH na hi||

In the pariNaama, the former (cause) form is rejected or get destroyed - kshera ruupavat - like the form of milk (is destroyed in the curds, the effect). This is what irreversible transformation implies - I cannot get back milk or reverse the process.

In the pot and ear-ring, the mud and the gold forms are not rejected or their state is retained. Hence we call this as vivarta or in the scientific terms - transformation-less transformation. Gold remains as gold and yet different ornaments are formed. It is not even a reversible transformation as ice becoming water but a transformation-less transformation - this word I coined for vivarta - graspable by those who are familiar with transformations.

The rope/snake example even though is vivarta from the point of rope, it is not relevant for the topic of discussion of this chapter as I had pointed out earlier, since it is pratibhaasika. It is also evident, since Vidyaranaya did not discuss it any further. The reason is simple; the topic of discussion is how the creation-less creation occurred since there cannot real creation at Brahman level. Hence the discussion pertains to vyavahaara level and not praatibhaasika level.

I thank again all who contributed in one form or the other for the discussion, with my apologies to those who get irritated with my posts.

I will write more on this chapter for my own benefit as I revel more and more on the Vidyaranya's analysis of the multiple facets of maaya shakti - It is fascinating and meditative also, as I found.

I find teaching is the best way to learn, even though some think that I can never learn.

For those who are interested, Advaita Academy has uploaded the talk series on 'Self Realization'  Self Realization I

|    |
Self Realization I
   |   |

 There are 55 videos under the topic.