[Advaita-l] A question on PariNAma and vivarta

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 4 04:34:58 CST 2017

Chandramouliji - PraNAms
Thanks for the input. I must say I still do not agree with you assessment of gold appearing as ornaments come under parinaama in stead of vivarta.
The milk transforming into curds is definitely parinaama - In science we call this as irreversible transformation, a destructive transformation. That does not come under the same category of gold appearing as ornaments - where vaachaarambhanam vikaara naama dheyam - a transformation-less transformation.

Shree Vidyaranya's discussion pertains to vyaavahaarika only in terms of upaadaana kaaranam.

Rope/snake example again praatibhaasika and not relevant - I do not think it is vivarta also since rope has not undergone any apparent transformation. It forms nirupaadika adhyaasa where as the discussion here pertains to upaadaana kaaranam, as you have studied the chapter.

I am not sure how the vaachaarambhanam statements were accounted in the Chandogya  by Acharyas.
Hari Om!Sadananda