[Advaita-l] Avatar's body is transcended

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 07:58:57 EDT 2017

Namaste

This is from Mahabharata. Arjuna tried to protect the Vrishni ladies but
many were kidnapped by robbers. He lost all his strength and became
incapable of fighting.

"After all the people had set out, the ocean, that home of sharks and
alligators, flooded Dvaraka, which still teemed with wealth of every
kind, with its waters. Whatever portion of the ground was passed over,
ocean immediately flooded over with his waters. Beholding this wonderful
sight, the inhabitants of Dvaraka walked faster and faster, saying,
Wonderful is the course of fate! Dhananjaya, after abandoning Dvaraka,
proceeded by slow marches, causing the Vrishni women to rest in pleasant
forests and mountains and by the sides of delightful streams. Arrived at
the country of the five waters, the puissant Dhananjaya planted a rich
encampment in the midst of a land that abounded with corn and kine and
other animals. Beholding those lordless widows escorted by Prithas son
alone O Bharata, the robbers felt a great temptation (for plunder). Then
those sinful wretches, with hearts overwhelmed by cupidity, those Abhiras
of ill omen, assembled together and held a consultation. They said, Here
there is only one bowman, Arjuna. The cavalcade consists of children and
the old. He escorts them, transgressing us. The warriors (of the
Vrishnis) are without energy. Then those robbers, numbering by thousands,
and armed with clubs, rushed towards the procession of the Vrishnis,
desirous of plunder. Urged by the perverse course of time they fell upon
that vast concourse, frightening it with loud leonine shouts and desirous
of slaughter. The son of Kunti, suddenly ceasing to advance along the
path, turned, with his followers, towards the place where the robbers had
attacked the procession. Smiling the while, that mighty-armed warrior
addressed the assailants, saying, You sinful wretches, forbear, if ye
love your lives. Ye will rue this when I pierce your bodies with my
shafts and take your lives. Though thus addressed by that hero, they
disregarded his words, and though repeatedly dissuaded, they fell upon
Arjuna. Then Arjuna endeavoured to string his large, indestructible,
celestial bow with some effort. He succeeded with great difficulty in
stringing it, when the battle had become furious. He then began to think
of his celestial weapons but they would not come to his mind. Beholding
that furious battle, the loss of the might of his arm, and the
non-appearance of his celestial weapons, Arjuna became greatly ashamed.
The Vrishni warriors including the foot-soldiers, the elephant-warriors,
and the car-men, failed to rescue those Vrishni women that were being
snatched away by the robbers. The concourse was very large. The robbers
assailed it at different points. Arjuna tried his best to protect it, but
could not succeed. In the very sightof all the warriors, many foremost of
ladies were dragged away, while others went away with the robbers of
their own accord. The puissant Arjuna, supported by the servants of the
Vrishnis, struck the robbers with shafts sped from Gandiva. Soon,
however. O king, his shafts were exhausted. In former days his shafts had
been inexhaustible. Now, however, they proved otherwise. Finding his
shafts exhausted, he became deeply afflicted with grief. The son of Indra
then began to strike the robbers with the horns of his bow. Those
Mlecchas, however, O Janamejaya, in the very sight of Partha, retreated,
taking away with them many foremost ladies of the Vrishnis and Andhakas.
The puissant Dhananjaya regarded it all as the work of destiny. Filled
with sorrow he breathed heavy sighs at the thought of the non-appearance
of his (celestial) weapons, the loss of the might of his arms, the
refusal of his bow to obey him, and the exhaustion of his shafts.
Regarding it all as the work of destiny, he became exceedingly cheerless.
He then ceased, O king, to make further efforts, saying, he had not the
power which he had before. The high-souled one, taking with him the
remnant of the Vrishni women, and the wealth that was still with them,
reached Kurukshetra. Thus bringing with him the remnant of the Vrishnis.
he established them at different places. He established the son of
Kritavarma at the city called Marttikavat, with the remnant of the women
of the Bhoja king. Escorting the remainder, with children and old men and
women, the son of Pandu established them, who were reft of heroes, in the
city of Indraprastha. The dear son of Yuyudhana, with a company of old
men and children and women, the righteous-souled Arjuna established on
the banks of the Sarasvati. The rule of Indraprastha was given to Vajra.
The widows of Akrura then desired to retire into the woods. Vajra asked
them repeatedly to desist, but they did not listen to him. Rukmini, the
princess of Gandhara, Saivya, Haimavati, and queen Jamvabati ascended the
funeral pyre. Satyabhama and other dear wives of Krishna entered the
woods, O king, resolved to set themselves to the practice of penances.
They began to live on fruits and roots and pass their time in the
contemplation of Hari. Going beyond the Himavat, they took up their abode
in a place called Kalpa. Those men who had followed Arjuna from
Dwaravati, were distributed into groups, and bestowed upon Vajra. Having
done all these acts suited to the occasion, Arjuna, with eyes bathed in
tears, then entered the retreat of Vyasa. There he beheld the Island-born
Rishi seated at his ease."

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:50 PM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

Regards

-Venkatesh