[Advaita-l] DSV in the advaitasiddhi: adhyAsa is substantiated

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 08:42:24 EDT 2017

Namaste Venkatraghavanji, Anandji,

Thanks to your earlier responses.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I went back to the third mithyAtvam chapter of the advaita siddhi. There,
> the siddhikAra quotes vivaraNAchArya and vArtikAchArya in substantiating
> his definition of bAdha. He says:
> अतेवोक्तं विवरणाचार्यै: - "अज्ञानस्य स्वकार्येण प्रविलीनेन वर्तमानेन वा सह
> ज्ञानेन निवृत्तिर्बाध " इति |
> The nivritti of ajnAna and its products in its sthUla rUpa (vartamAna) or
> sUkshma rUpa / kAraNa rUpa (pravilIna) is bAdha, says the vivaraNakAra.

Venkatraghavanji, ​I am not sure as to what sthUla and ​sUkShma means here
in terms of shuktikA-rajat example in the context of DSV. If you don't
mind, could you specifically point out in the example which is which and
therefore the last set of likely impossibilities you point out w.r.t. bAdha
of ajnAna? To me it appears as शुक्तिकायाः अज्ञानस्य स्वकार्येण रजतेन
प्रविलीनेन वर्तमानेन वा सह ज्ञानेन निवृत्तिः बाधः।

And could you also quote the exact statement of the opponent before MS's
refutation line given? [Page no. of the PDF will be helpful, since I'd like
to read around it for my own benefit. Meanwhile, I'll also look around if I
hit this sentence after sending this mail :)]

​Thanks​
,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */