[Advaita-l] Sri Krishna karnamrutam-6

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 18 13:09:06 EDT 2017

Sri Krishna Karnamrutam -6

Here is another incident as Krishna is growingup as a child. Yasodamaayya after milking the cow, prepared the milk and keptaside for the night. Little Krishna comes and asks for some more milk eventhough he had enough. But just to tease mayyaa he keeps pulling her duppataasking for more. Here is the conversation between the son and the mother.

maataH! kim yadunaatha? dehi caShakam!kimtena? paatum payaH,
tannastyadya – kadaastivaa? nishi, nishaakaavaa? andhakaarodayaH|
aameelyaakshiyugam nishaapyupagataa deheeti?maaturmuhuH
vakshojaamshuka karShaNOdyakaraH krishnaH sapuShNaatu naH|| II-60

maata – mayyaa! kim yadunaatha – what is myyadukula naatha,  in essence affectionately saying my darling boy, dehicaShukam – please give me that that pot, kimtena – Why do you want it ?; paatumpayam –I want to drink the milk in that; tannastyadya – That is not for now;kadaastivaa – then when (you are going to give me)?; nishi – in the night;nishii kaavaa – what is night?; andhakaaridayaH – when it becomes so dark thatyou cannot see;

After listening to the explanation of whennight comes, Krishna mischievously says, closing his both eyes – akshiyugamaameelya; nishaapyugataa – right now night has come, since it is now dark and Icannot see anything; therefore dehi iti –now give me that milk pot. Like thathe was pulling again and again her duppata –vakshijaamshuka karShaNa;udyutakaraH  – by lifting his hands and holding her duppata tightly andthen pulling again and again – to that little mischievous little Krishna – saKrishnaH; naH puShNaatu – may he protect us.

The compassionate Krishna wants to show hisviswaruupam to his loving mother yasoda and creates a scene where he eatsmother earth- an incident we are all familiar. It seems the mother earth was sohappy when he started eating the mud since most of the time it stays near hisfeet – bhuuHpaadou, yasya naabhiH… says purusha suuktam. Normally he shows thevirat swaruupam outside as he did for Arjuna. But here a rare incident wherethe whole cosmos is shown in his mouth for his loving mother, Yasoda mayyaa.Here is Leekasuka’s description of the virat swaruupa darshanam in the mouth oflittle Krishna’s mouth.

kriShNe naamba! gatena rantu madhunaamRidbhakshitaa svecchayaa
sathyam krishNa! ka yeva maaha? musalii;mithyamba! pasyaananam|
vyaade heeti vidirite sishumukhe dRiShTvaasamastam jagat
maataa yasya jagaama vismayapadam paayaatsanaH keshavaH|II-65

amba! athunaa – mayyaa! Right now; rantumgatena – one who has gone to play; krishnena – by Krishna, svecchayaa mRitbhakshitaa – himself wantingly eat the mud (not forced by any). When Balaramasaid this mother Yasoda, she confronts him and asks – Krishnaa! Satyam? – isthis true? –ka yevam aaha? – who told you this? Amba! mityaa- Oh! mayaa! thisis false accusation; me aananam pasya –look into my mouth; vyaadehi iti – thenopen your mouth- demanded Yasoda mayyaa. vidaarate shishumukhe – in the openedmouth of the little baby Krishna; samastam jagat – the whole cosmos; dRiShTvaa– having seen; yasya maataa – whose mother; vismayam padam jagaama – reached astate of wonder; sa keshavaH – that Keshava; naH paayaat – protect us.

Keshava is explained as ka standing forcreator Brahmaji, eeShaH – involving both sthiti kaara, Vishnu, and layakaara–Shiva – that the whole creation, sustenance and annihilation is being shown inessence in the little mouth of Krishna.  Scriptures defines Brahman onlythis way which is called taTasta lakshana – yatova imaani bhuutani jaayante,yena jaatani jiivanti- yat prayam tyabhisam vishanti … tat brahmeti. ThusKrishna as Brahms sutra says janamaadyasya yataH – that who is the cause forthe creation-sustenance and annihilation – yet different form all the threesince Krishna is showing all that in his mouth, thus He is different from whatis seen in his mouth. That Krishna may He protect us all – saysLeelasuka.

Hari Om!
Sadananda