[Advaita-l] nididhyaasana

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 03:14:00 EDT 2017

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 1:26 AM, Durga Prasad Janaswamy via Advaita-l <

Hari Om,

Namaste.

Vedanta teachers say :  do shravaNa,  manana, nididhyaasana

Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi says:  do self inquiry by way of "Who am I?"

Both appear to be telling different things. Is it possible to reconcile
them? Is it nididhyaasana that Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi referring to?

Thank you and regards
-- durga prasad

Namaste.

Quite a coincidence.  Ever since the topic of “ चोरद्वार (choradvAra)”
cameup in the other thread. I have been thinking of the life of Sri Ramana
Maharshi. I am now inclined to believe that the Maharshi was, during his
sAdhana spread over several years, indeed engaged in the practice of this
prakriyA  only, namely upAsanA on the MahA vAkya

<< इदं सर्वं यदयमात्मा >>  Br. Up. 2-4-6

<< idaM sarvaM yadayamAtmA >>.

<< All this is verily I the  Self  >>  ( I the Self referring to  the
PratyagAtman/ SAkshi/ Brahman ).

This understanding is reinforced both by the  events leading to his
renunciation, namely the “near death” experience as related by himself, as
well as his upadEsha subsequently, namely to concentrate on the question “
Who am I “. I believe this upadEsha actually entails the aspirant to
understand its meaning in accordance with the mahA vAkya mentioned above
(shravana) ;  and then be established in that, either by way of vichAra (
shravana, manana and nididhyAsana ) or by way of upAsana ( also a
recommended path in Brahma Vidya ), depending upon the abilities of the
aspirant.

There is thus complete correspondence of the sAdhana and upadEsha of the
Maharshi with traditional teaching.

Regards