[Advaita-l] DSV in Vichara Sagara

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 01:11:50 EDT 2017

Namaste

Ajnaata Satta Theory in Vichara Sagara Page 221

अस्मिन् पक्षे पदार्थानामज्ञातसत्ता नास्ति । किन्तु ज्ञातसत्तैवास्ति ।
अद्वैतवादेऽयमेव सिद्धान्तपक्ष: । अस्मिन् पक्षे सत्ताद्वैविध्यमेव न
सत्तात्रैविध्यम् । सर्वेषामेव दृश्यानामनात्मपदार्थानां स्वाप्नपदार्थानामिव
प्रातिभासिकसत्तैव । प्रतिभासकालादन्यकालेऽनात्मपदार्थानां सत्ता नास्ति।
तस्मान्नास्त्येव तृतीया व्यावहारिकी सत्ता । In this Theory there is no
Ignorance of Objects but only Knowledge of Objects. In SDV objects are
existing before they are seen. But in DSV objects are created when they are
seen like in a dream. Therefore it is not possible for Unknown Objects to
exist in DSV. The Ajnaata Sattaa is denied here. In Advaita this is the
Siddhaanta Paksha. There is no Sattaa Traividhya but only Sattaa
Dvaividhya. This means there are only two Sattaas - Paaramaarthika and
Praatibhaasika. All objects seen in Waking and Dream are Praatibhaasika
only. There is no existence for Objects = not Self beyond time of
appearance. Therefore there is no third Sattaa known as Vyaavahaarika.

Then there can be objection - What about Sankara Bhashya saying Ishwara is
creator in Vyavahara? But like in Bhamati the Ishwara is creator only by
Upachaara. It is only formality but not real. There is no creation beyond
time of appearance. The Drashtaa creates the objects at the time of seeing.
When he is seeing the object is there.

But there is one more objection in Siddhanta Muktavali - what about wife
and son living in the house? If Ajnaata Sattaa is correct when we leave
house and go out wife and son are not seen. This means we should think they
are no more and they are dead. We must fall to the ground in sorrow. No
this is not correct. Because Knowledge is not cancelled till another
cancelling Knowledge comes. When we leave house wife and son are there in
the Mind. That Knowledge will not get cancelled when we go out. Only if
there is a cancelling knowledge like somebody says 'Your house is burnt and
everybody inside died' there will be cancellation of earlier knowledge.
Same thing happens in dreams also. In a dream you are talking to wife and
son at home. Then you go out with a friend. In the same dream you will not
think wife and son died just because you went out and wife and son are not
seen.

Everything in Waking is like in a dream.

--
Regards

-Venkatesh