[Advaita-l] Does Brahman's svaprakAshatvam make it mithyA?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 13:59:37 EDT 2017

Dear Anand ji,

Even though the 'vṛtti' definition of the Yoga sutra is not admitted by the
Vedantin for the reason stated by you (vikalpa), I heard from Sri Mani
Dravid Sastrigal's talks on the Advaitasiddhi that Madhusudana Saraswati
accepts the Yoga Sutra definition (perhaps even the Bhāmati accepts) of
'vikalpa: śabadjñānānupātī vastuśūnyo vikalpaḥ' which is a definition of
sorts for a asat vastu such as hare's horn. If such is true, then the
meaning of 'vikalpa' as per the Yoga sutra within 'vṛtti' cannot be
imagination, kalpitam, adhyastam, etc. but asadvastu.  Could you please
clarify?

Thanks and regards
subrahmanian.v

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Anand Hudli via Advaita-l <