[Advaita-l] GunAtIta and jIvanmukta

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 12:17:54 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Raghav Ji,

Thanks for this sharing...yes, it is helpful.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Raghav Kumar Dwivedula <
raghavkumar00 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You may find this of interest. Commenting on advaita prakaraNa verse 37, a
> prakaraNa having many references to the sitting-still type of nidhidhyAsana,
> We have
> सर्वाभिलापविगतः सर्वचिन्तासमुत्थितः ।
> सुप्रशान्तः सकृज्ज्योतिः समाधिरचलोऽभयः ॥ ३७ ॥
>
> The word samadhi is parsed as समाधिः  *समाधिनिमित्तप्रज्ञावगम्यत्वात् * ;
> समाधीयते अस्मिन्निति वा समाधिः ।
>
> The first meaning viz., samAdhipraGYA avagamyatvAt implies 'known through
> the 'experience' or state of consciousness brought about by samAdhi.'
> (Generally the second meaning is the preferred meaning. But the first does
> not have to be wrong.)

Yes..interesting to note, arising of Atma GYAnam is admitted by such
practices ( in bhAshya ).

Also, the below note from Anandagiri's tIkA ..

*Samādhi*—This state of complete identity with non-dual Brahman, arrived at
as a result of discrimination and negation of phenomena, is the Vedāntic
conception of *Samādhi. *(which is quite different from any mystical or
mechanical state described as *Samādhi* in the *Yoga* system).

> When sufficient prior shravanam is already there,  there is no reason to
> deny the possibility that certain other obstacles, which are preventing the
> arising of apratibandhaka GYanam, get removed by samadhi-born praGYA.

Yes..as a path is admitted from GYAna utpatti (from shravaNa) to GYAna
nishTa ( saMyak GYAna)

(Technically though, it will be said  NS does not permit pramANa prameya
> vyApAra so GYAnam is not possible in that particular state. It has to be
> either before or after. But we can get around that technical objection by
> saying that like a flickering tubelight which comes on sometime later after
> flipping the switch of shravaNam. The samadhi born praGYA
> (RtambharApraGYA?) serves the purpose of removing other lingering obstacles
> (viparita bhavana-s?) to the arising of GYAnam.)

 Yes..noted this term RtambharApraGYA in JMV.

One small addendum -  the word samAdhi in the verse is treated as a synonym
> for brahman. And we say
> samAdhiH nAma brahma, samAdhi-nimitta-praGYAvagamyatvAt.

The implication is - GYAna is synonym for samAdhi as it is ananya (and
nirvikalpaka, since अन्तःकरण is void of all other vikAras or vishayas to
the exception of Brahma AkAra).

Dont know if your line of enquiry is related to what i wrote. Hope it helps.