[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 01:42:15 CDT 2016

Namaste

But it is good for the Jnani to keep good Vaasanaas and kill only the
bad Vaasanaas. Otherwise we cannot see examples like Adi Sankara. If
he had zero Vaasanaas how could he work continuously and travel and
preach Advaita?

If a person has zero Vaasanaas and zero desires he becomes like a dead
person appearing to be living. It is not Jeevanmukti but JeevanmRti to
other though he may be realized. Therefore it is good to keep good
Vaasanaas like worship of God, conversation with good people, showing
compassion and helping others Paropakaara and so on. What is JMV
saying on Sattwika Vaasanas like this?

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 7:26 PM, H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l
<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> Pranams Sri Sadananda Ji,
>

> The clarifications you have given are by and large in accordance with my
> understanding of JMV of Swami Vidyaranya.  But there are some differences
> in respect of perhaps semantics or terminology which incidentally lead to
> some fundamental misunderstandings concerning results or phala as well. I
> would be grateful if you can clear these issues.
>

> Whatever I am writing here is based on my understanding of JMV . Any number
> of shruti/smruti/purana/itihasa pramanas are furnished in the work. Firstly
> attainment of jnana is 100% and not partial, however small the percentage
> thereof maybe. But it is the nishtha or abidance in this jnana continuously
> for a jnani which is a variable and increases  as the FIR improves. The FIR
> (as per the explanation given by you) corresponds to manonasha and
> vasanakshaya of JMV. This nishtha is what is not achieved 100% even by the
> jnani at the time of attainment of jnana.
>

> Concerning phala, attainment of jnana ensures for the sAdhaka “liberation
> from embodiment” irrespective of FIR reduction or not.(This should answer
> the doubt raised by Sri Venkatesh Murthy Ji). The position obtaining on the
> fall of the body after death is the same whatever be the state of FIR.
> There is no transmigration or rebirth once jnana is attained irrespective
> of whether FIR has been reduced or not.
>

> Then what is the benefit of reducing FIR. According to JMV, one of the
> important benefits is the enjoyment of ananda(bliss)  while in the current
> body itself. As the FIR improves the jnani enjoys this more and more. This
> is what I understand (not based on JMV) of  the ananda mimamsa in TU and
> BU. As the akAmahatatva increases (meaning improved FIR) the bliss enjoyed
> by the jnani is higher, reaching at its highest level the bliss enjoyed by
> Brahmaji himself.
>

> I have not listened to Swami Paramarthananda Ji on FIR. Can you please give
> a reference to it. I am not sure if I can access it though with the changed
> situation now obtaining. My main  interest is in knowing whether he has
> specifically stated that jnana attained is not 100% or whether he is
> referring to nishtha not being 100%. Even if you can authoritatively
> confirm on this point it is fine with me. Though of course I would like to
> listen to his talk directly if  possible.
>

> Pranams and Regards

Regards

-Venkatesh