[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 10:36:09 CDT 2016

Chandramouliji - PraNAms
Yes as I see, it is mostly Semantics.

Jnaana 100% due to shravana and mananam - NishTa via nidhidhyaasana is required for those whose minds are not 100% pure unless one is Nachiketas. The obstacles for nishta is discussed extensively by Goudapaada. Vidyaranya also talks about I think in the 9th or 10th Chapter of Panchadashi where he talks about nidhidhyaasana or meditation on aham brahmaasmi - after gaining the jnaanam. The difference between jnaanam and jnaana nishta is all about paroxa and aparoxa jnanaam.

This is reason why Yagnavalika a jnaani wants to leave his family is only for jnaana nishTa - is it not?  maano naasha is only the naasha of the vaasanaas - that involves FIR reduction.
FIR reduction 100% is ideal - but asymptotically approachable. Hence one can be for all practical purposes a jnaana nishTa - the question is only semantics.

No I am not sure where if Swami Paramarthanandaji refers to Jnaana nishTa and 100% FIR reduction etc.

No I have not studied Jiivan mukta Viveka or Vidyaaranya but have take Pachadashi text up to 10th Ch. Will be doing the rest when I go back to India in Oct.

Hope i have addressed all points to the degree that I have understood.
With this I stop.

Hari Om!Sadananda