[Advaita-l] Ramana Maharshi - Advaitin or Neo Advaitin?

Kripa Shankar kripa.shankar.0294 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 13:29:25 CDT 2016

Namaste Subramanian

Your advice is well taken. Btw the book which you mentioned earlier by Umesh is apparently out of print and it has been edited with new title yoga enlightenment and perfection. I have read this book not once but several times. I was always skeptical of other branches like Kundalini Yoga because it was defiled by popular culture. Because of this book, I have come to appreciate various aspects of Yoga, owing to the words of true sadguru. Vidya is homogeneous. All the branches are to be reconciled and all paths (shad darshanas) including Shaiva and Shakta lead to the same goal. But it becomes annoying when the same statement is extended to mean even following Christ Buddha or some random saint is same.  (note that this book does not mention anything other than the conversations with Abhinava Vidyatirtha Swamy  ). Anyone can compare this book with Ramana's book and infer the difference between orthodox and the other schools like day and night.
‎
This is a direct consequence ‎of mixing up new age corporate gurus with the orthodox. This is the undercurrent of my view. Does it matter now if Ramana was a saint or not? No. It's all about affiliation. In my own house there are books stacked up about new age gurus filled with simplistic remarks and hollow, vague statements. The title of the book reads 'Guru charitre' but it's not about Dattatreya, it's about some Sai baba who was compelled, for some strange reason, to club sufism. I don't want to read about the goddamn sufism in guru charitre of Datta. You might also find it strange that there are so many apara dattas.lol.
‎
The result of all this is that no one gets to read Shankara or the Puranas like Mahabharata. ‎An average person doesn't care about the political side of anything. And an average new age guru is at best, the seller of Vedas. There can be no freedom of thought if there is no study of the Shastras. I am not saying Sringeri is the epitome of Vedas. I am only referring to it frequently because it's an organized structure representing the orthodox school. Like all rivers take refuge in the ocean, there should be a refuge for the orthodox school. Otherwise any group that is leaderless is scattered away like a herd of sheep.

I really don't care about popular culture but I feel that the original Vedas should be left alone. ‎
‎
Ramana's case always intrigued me and it surprised me that almost 100 percent of the people within the circle considered only his fables and not anything else. Guru vakya is a command and not heeding to it means to disrespect. I am surprised why this disrespect for the age old Vedas by not obeying / acknowledging it or by not knowing it.
‎
Sorry if I have hurt anyone, not my intention.

Regards
Kripa
‎
‎
Vyasaya Vishnu roopaya Vyasa roopaya Vishnave ‎
Namo vai Brahma nidhaye Vasishtaya namo namaha