[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 23:28:19 CDT 2016

Namaste Raviji,

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Ravi Kiran <ravikiranm108 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Namaste Praveenji
>
> As per one line of thought, there is no need to posit avidyA (locus) in
> nirguna nirvisesha Brahman (though Brahman is opposed to Nothing, as seen
> in creation), as avidyA/mAya is upAdhi Ashrita, but never in para brahman,

The question then would be: can the upAdhi be sentient? If not, it cannot
be the locus for avidyA, as mentioned y'day to be debated by
Sureshvaracharya in NS. If sentient, it is non-different from brahman.

Thats why I mentioned as below, that its just an indirection from brahman,
but still brahman.

> On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <
>

>> That mithyA sentient entity will have its locus in brahman any way. It
>> will
>> be just an indirection.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat