[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 01:23:09 CDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> From sushupti, isn't the the bhAshya clearly referring to kevala sath -
> सन्मात्रमेव केवलं वस्त्विति?
>
> >  and bruhadAraNyaka further clarifies this state is crystal clear like
> water, he is one without second, he is abhaya, he is paramAtma, for jeeva
> it is parama gati, parama saMpat, parama lOka, paramAnanda etc.  From this
> it is clear that sushupti is the secondless state that we daily
> experience!! But from this, can we say just go to sleep and get mOksha??
> No, though it is adviteeya state we donot know (jnAnAbhAva)

Is jnAnAbhAva another term for avidyA or  ajnAna or agrahana ( tattva
agrahana) ? Or does it mean something else ?

You may want to refer some discussion on this term (jnAnAbhAva) from
Venkatraghavanji / PraveenJi ?

that we are adviteeya there.  Shankara clarifies why there is no vishesha
> jnana in sushupti, it is because of 'ekatvaM' and not due to the existence
> of mUlAvidyA or kAraNAvidyA.

still to get a clear understanding of mUlAvidyA..

And elsewhere shankara further clarifies there is abhAva of avidyA in