[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker's erroneous view

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 13:28:42 CDT 2016

Dear friends,

May be this is a late reply, but it appears to me that the issue as to whether Adi Shankara applied bhashma in his body has not been answered yet. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

There is no doubt that Adi Shankara was a great yogi and he is said to have written a yoga text "YogatArAvali" as well as a commentary on a Yoga text. He was adept in Vajroli, as he told his disciples before the "parakAya pravesha". That was to allay the fearsr of his disciples and convince them that he was beyond the wiles of Kaama or sensuousness. Being a sanyashi he could have practised only the Sahajoli version of  the Vajroli, which requires the practicants to smear the bhashma on parts of the body after the Sahajoli.  The Hathayogaratnavali clearly says that  the yogis should always practice Sahajoli and thus can remain in a  bliss unmindful of the worldly affairs.

Probaly because of this, the disciples of Adi Shankara, from his times down to thist day, smear the bhashma on the parts of the body, irrespective of whether they are practicing Vajroli or not.

Regards,
Sunil KB