[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 11:02:58 CDT 2016

Namaste Venkatraghavanji,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 9:20 PM, Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You may be slightly frustrated at the answers in line below, so apologies
> in advance!

Far from it. :) No apologies needed. Thanks.

> "However, all that is perceived has to be explained. So jnAnI having
> sharIra as prArabdha, he is seen to take care of it as sharIradharma."
>
> Explained to whom?

To one who perceives.

> Only to the ajnAni. As you correctly say, he is "seen to take care of it".
> In actuality there is no seeing or taking care.

True.

> >> This distinction of
> >> jIvanmukti and videhamukti are all from vyAvahArika standpoint only.
> >

> > His upAdhi would limit the jnAnaphala based on his level of niShThA,
> hence the categories even for jnAnIs and videhamukti as a stage where
> upAdhi no longer limits in any way.
>
> Again these are only vyAvahArika constructs.

When jivanmukti itself is a vyAvahArika construct, all this upAdhi talk and
videhamukti and nityamukti too is.

> I am not wedded to them, but if you see any merit in preserving them, I
> see no harm in it.

I am just explaining where the sampradAya is coming from and I see merit in
sampradAya saying it.

> > Once again, the very idea of jnAni "considering" something indicates
> jIvabhAva, individualization, which means avidyAlesha.
>
> The use of "considering" was only a figure of speech. I don't have any
> qualms accepting avidyAlesha, but again that is only a vyAvahArika
> construct.

So is every other construct vyAvahArika including nityamukti. The very word
mukti even in nityamukti indicates that baddha was prApta in vyAvahArika
and is negated in vyAvahArika.

> I do not believe avidyA to be abhAvarUpa. So I am fully in agreement with
> your arguments for yatkinchit bhavarupa.
>
> My point is we are anyway going to do apavAda of it, so why split hairs.

True, but technically, splitting hairs is needed else baudha shunyavAda
will also stand to be right.

praNAm,
--praveen