[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 07:08:23 CDT 2016

Namaste PraveenJi

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Praveen R. Bhat <bhatpraveen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > This 'object' vishaya, for Brahman, the kartA, prior to creation, is:
> > > avidyA/mAyA/mUlAvidyA.
> > >

> > 1) If this is admitted prior to creation, how it is reconciled with -
> >
> > nitya-shuddha-buddha-mukta Brahma svarUpa,
>
> As mithyA.

so, we are accepting mUlAvidyA presence(bhAva rupa)  in Pure Existence
( nitya-shuddha-buddha-mukta
Brahma svarUpa), though as mithyA ? ( just like jagat experience as mithyA
after jnAna prApti)

In that case, Pure Existence was never without mUlAvidyA (though mithyA) ?

> as in
> >
> > Sruti vAkya - sad eva, saumya, idam agra AsId ekam evAdvitIyam - In the
> > beginning, .. there was **existence alone** ?
> >
> There is an anvaya needed before translation here, else it would mean
> there *was* existence and is not there now

Existence alone IS :)

Isn't the context , in the beginning ( before creation, before jagat,
before world).. Pure Existence alone IS ( without any mithyA) ?  :)

> going against the very definition of sat! he saumya, idaM jagat agre
> sadeva AsIt, ekamevAdvitIyam. This world was existence alone earlier.

this anvaya introduced the world, to link the context to, after creation as
well...a nice attempt :)